Tabs/Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Spicy Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti


I love Ina Garten.  LOVE her.  I recently received my autographed copy of her new cookbook - Barefoot Contessa how easy is that? http://www.barefootcontessa.com/books/index.shtml  I curled up in bed and started planning some meals.  There were too many things to consider.  Should I make the sausage stuffed mushrooms first or should it be the french toast bread pudding?  Then, I flipped to the recipe for spicy turkey meatballs and knew it would be my next Tuesday Night Swap.  After purchasing more meat than I consumed all summer, I jumped right in.

3 cups (1 inch diced) bread cubes from a round rustic bread ( I used a sourdough round)
2/3 cup whole milk
2 pounds ground turkey (85% to 92% lean)
1/2 sweet Italian sausage (I used Grateful Growers hot breakfast sausage - future post on these lovely farmers)
4 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto (I used Applegate)
1 cup finely grated Asiago cheese
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 tbls olive oil
2 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
3 (24 oz) jars of marinara.  Ina suggest Rao's and I am an obedient student and found it at local grocer
2 pounds dried spaghetti (I used whole wheat)

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line some pans with parchment paper.

Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until the bread is in medium crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a small bowl and add the milk. Toss and set aside for 5 minutes. Ina tells us to cut off crust.  I didn't listen and think it was fine to be a distracted student.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, sausage, prosciutto, and bread mixture, asiago, parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes and lightly combine with your hands. Add 3 tbsp olive oil and eggs, stir lightly with a fork to combine.

Lightly roll the mixture with your hands into 2” round meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Brush with olive oil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are browned and the centers completely cooked.  ** My sister made this the next day after I raved and she rolled approximately 20 meatballs.  I rolled approximately 60.  This made us laugh and had me wishing I had Ina on speed dial so I could ask the kitchen goddess directly.**

I was drooling while the meatballs were in the oven.  It smelled outrageously good in my house.

Pour the marinara sauce into a large low pot (I used my Dutch oven), add the meatballs and bring to a simmer.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (8-10 minutes depending on the type of pasta).

Make a generous to-go portion and pack up a sweet boy in the wagon to deliver the meal.


Next, stare at the astonishing number of meatballs in the sauce and invite over your best friend from kindergarten and her two kids to join you for dinner.
Finally....give thanks for having an always-eager-to-eat husband and son, great friends, an Ina-loving sister to talk shop with, and a great new cookbook to devour.

1 comment:

  1. it is never too late to comment, but these were some of the best meatballs I had ever had. I am a big fan of the big three meat balls when making meatballs for spaghetti. You know, veal, pork and beef, but these were a right up there with the best of them.

    ReplyDelete