Tabs/Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Moosewood Restaurant's Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

The final product.
I have been struggling with Jude's recent food habits.  He has always been a super eater as is evidenced by his perfectly round cheeks (both high and low).  He would gobble down most anything put in front of him.  Scrambled eggs with tomatoes and shallots - mmmmmmmm.  Spinach, apple, lemon and ginger juice - gulp.  Chicken stuffed with garlic goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes - no problem.  Pureed kale and yogurt - more please!  Lately, my man has become more picky.  I have found myself being really invested in whether or not he cleans his plate (or even tries one bite).  I am sure that the build up I have created for myself, and for him, is quite palpable at the table.  I don't blame him for pushing his plate away under my watchful stare.  I guess I have been a little intense.  Ok, maybe more than a little.  I really take pride in feeding my family.  I love being in the kitchen chopping and stirring and creating something for us all to enjoy together.  As much as I try not to take it personally, when Jude refuses to eat I feel like a bad mom/provider.  I also worry...will he wake up starving in the middle of the night?  Will he ever eat anything ever again?  Will his growth be stunted?  Is he going to report me to DSS for underfeeding him?  Will this impact his college options? Then I snap back to reality and realize that a dinner of a roll or apple sauce once in a while (or for 2 straight weeks) is ok. It has to be ok.
When I was planning out this Tuesday's meal, I did have Jude in mind.  The boy loves burritos.  I was hoping he would eat dinner with us, but promised myself I wouldn't be too tied to the outcome. 

Moosewood Restaurant Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos (with my additions/notes in blue)

5 cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes (I used about 2 large ones)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
3-1/2 cups diced onions (I used about 1 1/2 large yellow onion)
4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tablespoon minced fresh green chile (I used an Anaheim pepper)
4 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons ground coriander
4-1/2 cups cooked black beans (I mistakenly used 4 cans as I read the recipe too quickly.  I used Eden's simply because they are delicious and do not line their cans with BPA)
2/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
8 eight-inch flour tortillas (I actually ended up using 16 tortillas)
Fresh tomato salsa or jarred - I used a cranberry salsa that I get at our farmer's market.  This stuff is so incredibly good -Yah's Really Freaking Fantastic Cranberry Salsa
Cheese - This wasn't on original recipe, but I love cheese and wanted to try this out Helluva Good Jack and Jalapeno   It didn't disappoint.
Avocado - to serve with burritos

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with the salt and water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic, and chiles. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In a food processor, combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cooked sweet potatoes and puree until smooth.
The bowl will be jam packed.  I added the sweet potatoes in batches.

Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices.

Lightly oil a large baking dish. Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, sprinkle some cheese on top, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top of the burritos.
This recipe made two trays of 8 burritos each.

Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until piping hot. Serve topped with slices of avocado and salsa.

Recipe Source: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (Clarkson Potter Publishers)

I was doing lots of self-talk on the way over to Jenny's to drop off their share of the burrito feast.  I told myself that I would enjoy dinner with my family regardless of Jude's interest in the food.  I would not let myself get frustrated or weighed down by worry. I would be cool and calm. I would not be invested in his interest or lack thereof.

He gobbled it all up and asked for 'more peeeeze' and I couldn't have been more peeeeezed myself.

5 comments:

  1. holy cow those things look amazing! I"m going to have to try that for Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 ate like a heavy weight for about 18 months-avocados, hummus, you name it.

    Now he would exist solely on pizza if he could. I had to give up the guilt a long time ago, knowing that in a few years he and his brothers will hopefully be eating me out of house and home, as the saying goes. And hopefully consuming something other than doritos.

    You're an awesome mom and cook! And these look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing blog!! Such a great tool for all of us moms out there whose little ones just aren't the picture of cooperative eaters. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a stinker who waves his hand "no" at the meal more than picking it up and wolfing it down! When did they get their own little wills?!?!? :)
    Thanks, Megs!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday marielle flipped her bowl of oatmeal off her tray with a loud, "NO". The two of them must be trading secrets via esp late at nite....

    you are the best cook i know and Jude will be in heaven forever with a mom like you! if he doesn't test you now it will be even worse later....the little man needs to control something! I can't wait to try these burritos, they look amazing. great job branching out from Ina :)

    xo
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan - I just had a chance to check out the blog and these really look amazing! I can't wait to try them but will have to really really motivate myself - Neil has been doing most of the cooking......ahhhhh. Lazy, lazy Robin.
    Tristan is really starting to become a picky eater and our go to foods are: hummus, avocadoes, sweet potatoes, clementines and "nanas." Oh, yes, and cheese. Notice - no meat in there, he used to eat chicken but won't anymore. It seems like these habits are a phase....not too much to worry about. Thanks for sharing, I am excited to stop being lazy in the kitchen and try some of these amazing recipes. Great chatting tonight.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete