Tabs/Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Taste of Summer

We certainly know what summer feels like, but how does it taste?  I believe it is safe to say that a majority of us would first recall summer tomatoes or summer stone fruit.  After having this meal, this is exactly how summer tastes to me!  Tomatoes (mind you, my heirloom tomatoes weren't completely in season so in the heart of July this will be an even better dish) and the season's first basil all in a perfectly simple balsalmic dressing.  Hard to beat. Light, fresh and tasty! 
This meal was shared with Meg and her family on our screened in porch - it was a perfect early summer evening - fresh food shared at a common table.

Angel Hair Pasta Alla Checca

3 c. chopped ripe tomatoes, summer heirlooms are best for taste and looks
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 c fresh basil, torn
1/2 c. or less if you prefer, good quality EV olive oil. 
(remember from my earlier post, good quality is important when the ingredient is a star player)
8 oz. bocconcini mozzarella balls.  I used 16 oz and had I used less, I would have been disappointed. 
2 Tbs balsalmic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb angel hair pasta

Combine all ingredients (except the pasta) in a bowl.  Cover and let stand at room temperature for half an hour.  This is your checca sauce.  Boil the pasta, in water that tastes like the sea. 
Toss Pasta with the checca sauce and garnish. 

I served the pasta and the sauce seperately - and will probably continue to do so.  Call me type A, but I do think ahead and b/c there is a chance of leftovers, as this serves 4-6 people, I always think about what the sauce will do to my noodles overnight and personally, I don't want my pasta sitting in balsalmic vinegar for any length of time.  So, I keep the two seperate at the dinner table as well as when I store the leftovers.  

Now, if only I had a picture of sweet Jude "cranking" his pasta in via his ears.  My little Lizzie still pops that trick out at the dinner table and its weeks later.  Just this morning, she "cranked" in her banana nut pancakes!  Pretty sure Jude made a lasting impression on her - what a lady killer!

No comments:

Post a Comment