Tabs/Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Deeelicious Red Thai Curry with Shrimp

Although I refrain from titling this post "HOT HOT HOT" as I do not want to give anyone reason not to try this dish , I will not delay any further mentioning that this dish is VERY spicy if you do not take precaution with the curry paste.  As a first timer with this recipe, I followed precisely the measurements, but I'll definitely back the curry paste down to 1/2 or at the most, 1 Tbs instead of 2 Tbs. next time.  And there will be a next time.  This was a hit with Brad and next time will be with me.  I could tell it was very good, but I just couldn't get past the small inferno I ignited on my lips, in my thorat and the excessive runny nose.  I was a pretty sight!  So bad I opted for a cold bowl of cereal.  What a shame but I just don't do heat of that caliber.  I felt so awful for not being able to prewarn my trusting recipients.  They already tasted the meal before I could and thus my apology/disclaimer was a little too late. But, everyone reassured me that it was still delicious and through the heat I did like the flavor of the sauce and all the fresh veggies.  
I do want to mention that this recipe is from an excellent book, the same one Meghan mentioned in an earlier post, "The Family Dinner".  I too strongly beleive in the family meal shared around one common table.  Laurie David is spot on in this book and the recipes (by Kirstin Uhrenholdt) are going to be great while raising children alongside me in the kitchen.  

Red Thai Curry with Shrimp - The Family Dinner
Vegetable Oil
1 large red onion, sliced into wedges
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
2 Tbs Thai Red Curry Paste (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)  next time i plan to use 1/2 - 1 Tbs
1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
2 Tbs fish sauce
1 1/2 Tbs brown sugar
1 C. diced tomatoes
1 C. snow peas, tips and tails removed
1 c. chopped asapargus
1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh cilantro
lime wedges

Heat a large nonsitck skillet over medium heat and drizzle in enoug hoil to film the bottom.  Add the onion and saute until soft and beginning to grown, about 4 mins.  Add the garlic and ginger and saute until the garlic is golden.  
Reduce the heat to medium.  Add the curry paste; stir until fragrant; bring to a low simmer.
Add the reamining vegetables and simmer for 2 mins.
Add the shrimp and cook, strirring often, for about 3 mins, or until the shrimp are pink and curled.  Taste for seasonings.  
Transfer the curry to a large, shallow bowl.  Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.  Serve with rice.  

* I love brown basmati and jasmine rice - either of those would be wonderful with this dish.        

No comments:

Post a Comment