Tabs/Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

"I Love" Chicken Schnitzle

This has been a good week.  Lizzie is showing progress on the potty, her big girl underwear came in the mail (they are Adorable on!)  and we've had lots of rain - to wash away all this nasty overwhelming yellow pollen!  Also, I've been working hard to be consciously grateful for all things I love thanks to an inspiring book my Aunt Laney gave me called "The Secret the Power" by Rhonda Byrne.  There are lots of lessons to be taken from this book, but this is just one I'm concentrating on now.  And I'm happy to report, it does make one more happy feeling to accentuate the positive (Johhnny Mercer was on to something) and be consciously grateful of people/sitatuions/events/things you encounter daily.  It is challenging, to be conscious of your thoughts and steer them into positive directions when they tend to linger (more like lurk) towards the negative.  Its only human nature, but we do need to take control more often than not.
Anyway - with the help of my new read, I'm working to mentally acknowledge things that I love and make this a daily practice.  My sweet lizzie and my amazingly helpful husband who is so tender and loving with our little girl and with me - are at the top of my list among some very trivial things like "icecream..... anytime" and "stormy nights which lead to excellent slumber".

Now, on to food, the main reason for this blog and another thing I am grateful for and enjoy.  Brad and I love Chicken Schnitzle and eat it with all sorts of sides, but b/c it is pan fried I decided to lighten it up this time with a side salad.  One of my favorite salads was (I hate that I can't say "is")  from Bronte Bistro at Jospeh Beth Booksellers and since they have gone out of business locally I have longed for the ability to recreate this salad.  I attempted it, but was not totally happy.  I beleive it was b/c I used romaine lettuce instead of mixed greens and that I used my cooking olive oil instead of one better suited for salad dressings - you know - something with a more fruity flavor.  If anyone has other suggestions, let me know.

Chicken Schnitzle - a lighter version than one you get abroad.
Maureen Clancy from Southern Living magazine

Ingredients
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 lemon wedges (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
  • Place flour in a shallow bowl. Combine mustard and egg in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, chives, and garlic in a shallow dish. Dredge 1 chicken breast half in flour, turning to coat; shake off excess flour. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, flour, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.
  • Heat oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 2 1/2 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat. Turn chicken over; place pan in oven. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing

use any porportions you want depending on how you like your salad
  • 1 pear, your favorite kind, cored and sliced thinly
  • golden raisins
  • romain lettuce, although I think i would prefer fresh mixed greens next time
  • sliced almonds
  • mild blue cheese, as much or as little as you wish
Poppy Seed Dressing
  • 1/3 c light olive oil - make sure its a high quality fruity variety specifically used for salad dressings
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. Poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Process olive oil and remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth.  Store in airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week, serve at room temperature. 



No comments:

Post a Comment