Tabs/Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Asparagus and Roasted Tomato Quiche


I am a week late in writing this post and am suffering from a serious case of spring fever.  I am going to make this short and sweet.  I like quiche.  I like it for dinner with a green salad.  I like it for lunch with a glass of tea.  I like to eat it on the back deck when the sun is out.  I like quiche.

I do quiche the easy way.  I buy a pie shell (gasp) and I oftentimes buy roasted veggies to fill it with (double gasp).  Yes, I am a culinary short-cutter at times.  I am not ashamed. To me, quiche should be an easy meal.  One that can be made quickly and enjoyed without feeling tired from a kitchen fuss.  Quiches are great for a meal swap because a) pie shells are typically sold in twos and b) two can be assembled just as easily as one. I know I am boldly stating the obvious here, but sometimes these things elude me and I kick myself every time I dig up a solo frost bitten pie shell in the freezer.  Would be so much nicer to reach in and find a bottle of cold gin an already made quiche for dinner instead.  Anyhoo...here is the recipe.  It is a mash up of different quiche recipes I found online.  I like the replacement of cottage cheese for the typical cream and other dairys.  I feel like I am getting some extra protein, but be careful with how much salt you add to the recipe when tweaking.  The quiches can me made ahead of time and reheated at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Asparagus and Roasted Tomato Quiche - adapted from Bon Appetit's Speedy Spinach Quiche
*makes 2*
2 pie shells
12 Plum tomatoes (I used 9 and it was definitely a tomato heavy quiche)  You will have leftover tomato deliciousness.  You won't be sorry.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
8 oz of goat cheese (I used Bosky Acres Farm Garlic and Chive Goat Cheese.  Any kind is fine, but won't be nearly as delicious).
10 eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
salt
pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Prep tomatoes for roasting by cutting in half and scooping out the seeds.  Mix tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic, garlic, sugar and 1.5 teaspoons salt and some pepper.    Spread tomatoes out on rimmed sheet pan, cut side up.  Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes until they get all pretty and caramelized (read: not black).   Thank Ina for the simplicity of this roasting technique.

Once tomatoes are done, reduce heat on oven to 375.

Trim woody stems off asparagus.  Steam asparagus to mildly crunchy perfection.  I use a large pot with enough water to cover the bottom and then some and a steamer basket.  Once water is heated up, I drop asparagus in the steam basket and cover the pot with a plate (I lost the lid) for 2-3 minutes.  Drain and run under cool water to stop the asparagus from cooking.  Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, whip together the eggs, cottage cheese, and 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper.

Make an assembly line of goodies.

Pull out cold gin and fix yourself a gin and tonic pair of pie shells from freezer.  Smile with gratitude that someone, somewhere thought it would be nice to not add a bunch of crap into a simple frozen pie shell.

Spread the goat cheese on the bottom of the pie shell and then place the veggies on top. Pour the egg mixture on top of it all.

Here is my assembly line shot -


If you haven't already done so, reduce oven temp to 375.  Bake quiches for 50 minutes until the filling is set.  No jiggling here.

Here are some of my favorite quiche fillings.  I keep the egg bit the same, use whatever cheese I have on hand, and just sub in the following for the roasted tomatoes and asparagus:

Mushroom and sundried tomato
Swiss chard, golden raisin and pine nuts
Peas and caramelized onion
Roasted peppers (I get mine at Trader Joe's) and sausage

What are your favorite things to throw in a quiche?

~Meghan







1 comment: