Tabs/Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Honey, help me out and please cut the carbs"!

Cut the carbs?  Lord help me!  So, this may sound like an easy and simple request, but for this carb loving, and 4 months preggo, girl, this could be difficult!  My sweet sweet husband is trying to lose some of the lbs put on during my first extreme carb craving period of life, that would be prenancy numero uno and thus his time each night spent with P90x alone will not suffice.  I have to help him cut the carbs and in addition, quit adding to the issue at hand and tempting him with yummy desserts.  Unfortunately, eventhough I did chose a light and healthy main meal, I had a weak moment and used the leftover sour cream pound cake cupcakes I had made this past weekend to make a mixed berry trifle spiked with amaretto for dessert!  Does dessert really count as a carb?  nahhhh......its just the pefect ending to a almost carb free dinner!  Poor guy, doens't have a chance in this household!  Hey, I did share with  three of our neighbors so that we would only have one serving each in the house. 
Back to the meal, I picked a filling but light favorite of ours.  Pasta Stackup With Chicken Sausage.  This is from Better Homes and Gardens,  Sept 2010 and ever since that month's issue, we've made it three times.  I love this magazine and we really like this recipe!  I know, very 1950's homemaker of me to admit I get that magazine, but I can't deny it.  (Thanks Grandma, for the subscription!)  I know it has "Pasta" in the title, but its only one lasagna noodle per serving guys and gals - that only counts as 1/2 a carb doesn't it?!  The only suggestion I have is to forget slicing the sausage lengthwise and definitely measure the salt.  I think I eye balled it as I usually do, not to mention Ina Garten, Giada and Rachel Ray do as well (he!), never having made an over-salting mistake before, but this time, I did. It was a little salty.  Sorry Meg and Patrick! Usually Brad is always adding extra salt at the table but this time even he admitted the meal was salty. 


Pasta Stackup with Chicken Sausage - Better Homes and Gardens, Sept 2010

*       6 lasagna noodles
*       1 cup dried tomato halves (not oil packed), coarsely chopped
*       6 cloves garlic, minced
*       1 lb. fully cooked chicken sausage links
*       2 Tbsp. olive oil
*       1 5 oz. bag baby spinach
*       Shaved Parmesan (optional)
Directions
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.

2. Place dried tomatoes and garlic in a bowl; carefully add 1 cup boiling pasta water; set aside.

3. Cut sausage in half lengthwise (this was difficult with the chicken and veggie sausage I used, so I just sliced into ¼ inch diagonal slices)   and slice in large pieces. In a 12-inch skillet cook sausage in hot oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned and heated through, turning occasionally. Add tomato mixture. Cook, uncovered, 2 minutes. Stir in spinach, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Cover and remove from heat.

4. Cut cooked lasagna noodles in half. To serve, layer noodles and sausage mixture onto individual plates. Pass Parmesan. Makes 4 servings

Oh, and for those of you who are waiting for the Trifle recipe, don't worry, here it is.  It was yummy and would be an easy make ahead dessert for company. 

Mixed Berry Trifle
Ingredients
  • 1 (12 ounce) bag mixed frozen berries
  • 1/4 cup amaretto
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • Pound cake
Directions
1.      Combine the berries, amaretto, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl.  Toss to blend and set aside.
2.      Beat the chilled heavy cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate whip cream until needed.
3.      Cut pound cake into slices 1/3 inch wide, discarding cake ends.
4.      Assemble the trifle by placing a layer of cake slices in the bottom of a glass serving bowl. Spoon half the berry mixture with juice over the cake slices. Cover with half of the whipped cream. Repeat layering with the remaining cake slices, berries and juice, and whipped cream. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, but can be made ½ day in advance.


No comments:

Post a Comment